I want to place an order but how does it work?
A quick reference for the questions most commonly asked
To place an order you can use any of the online “ORDER NOW” options on the website – or simply call 021 055 3102 / 03 546 4148 and speak to a friendly human who will assist you with all the information that you might need.
You only need to pay once your order has been completed and you have received our invoice by email. Payment is required on presentation of the invoice. We will dispatch or deliver your order once payment has been received.
By direct internet banking (our preferred option)
By credit card – PayPal, VISA or Mastercard on request (credit card fees will apply)
By cheque (this option takes longer to clear – fees will apply)
• We will confirm receipt of your order by email.
• Upon receipt of your material we will inspect the contents and take a photograph or video of them for our records.
• We will advise if there are any issues with your material if need be.
• Your order will be processed.
• You will be notified with an official invoice and the details about how to pay.
• We will dispatch your order and your original material (unless requested otherwise) to you by secure post after your payment has cleared.
• Your videos and all other digital files will be completely deleted from our system within 15 days after payment has been received.
Send your parcel to:
PHOTOFRIEND, PO Box 556, NELSON, 7040
Or if you prefer, to our street address:
PHOTOFRIEND, 17 Pinnacle Place, Wakatu, NELSON, 7011
Please use a secure NZ Post or courier service to ship your order to us
No problem! Nelson is a lovely place and ideally suited for our online business. We service the whole of New Zealand and get orders from Kaitaia to Invercargill, and everywhere else in between. We seldom wait more than 1- 2 days for a parcel to reach us, and our return service is equally fast. We have never had any problems with the postal service and have always received our clients parcels in excellent condition.
The best thing you can do to protect your original material is to ship it to us in a sturdy box, a padded envelope, or in a small plastic container placed inside a cardboard box. In general, the sturdier your box, the safer your shipment will be. Use a zip-lock plastic bags for negatives, slides and photographs, and seal them before placing them in your container.
DO NOT USE NORMAL PAPER ENVELOPES WHEN POSTING SLIDES, NEGATIVES OR PHOTOGRAPHS
When you use a box make sure it’s filled, even if you need to pad it a bit with something soft. Take care not to scratch the surface of any slide or negative and don’t touch the insides of video tapes. Please include your contact details and any further instructions.
Please use a secure NZ Post or courier service to ship your order to us.
We take the utmost care with your material as we understand that they are precious, irreplaceable memories.
We can’t control any actions from the couriers while in transit, but when they arrive at our premises they are treated with the utmost care .
We have not damaged any of our clients material since we started. Reviews of our service and work is testament to that.
• Free pick-up/drop-off in Nelson, Stoke and Richmond. Please phone or email beforehand to book a pick-up/drop-off time
• Free return delivery New Zealand wide* by tracked parcel post
• Personalised introduction title (with information requested by you or taken from the original video/label)
• Personalised USB packaging
• Black screen gaps and blank screens edited out
• DVD case with a personalised cover design
• DVD video disc with printed label
• Basic normal-quality check every 10min of tape
• Basic physical inspection of tape
* Free return delivery for orders of $50 or over (excluding GST)
• We include FREE return tracked parcel post delivery throughout New Zealand on orders of $50 or over (excluding GST)
• After payment your completed order and original material (unless informed otherwise) will be dispatched to you by tracked parcel post delivery
• Free return, tracked parcel post delivery is to one New Zealand address only. Add $7 postage charge per additional delivery address
* Standard delivery charge of $7 applies to orders under $50 (excluding GST)
Currently, orders will be completed and dispatched on a 10 – 15 working days completion time schedule from the date we received your order, or earlier, depending on the extent of your order and payment clearance. We will advise if a longer period is needed.
Video tapes deteriorate every day – some more than others, and some are beyond recovery. We can only transfer the tape in its present condition, however we can improve the quality slightly to some extent – we can clean the tape if it’s moulded, and adjust brightness, colour, contrast and sharpness if needed.
We do not compress any video or use cheap USB conversion and transfer devices – all our transfers are done with high quality equipment at maximum resolution.
You will get the best possible image quality the tape will allow us to extract from it. We will notify you before we attempt the transfer if your video tape has deteriorated beyond recovery.
We are often asked ‘I don’t know what’s on my tapes. I only want family/ home video content transferred. I don’t want any recordings of films or TV shows. Is that possible?’
The answer is yes, no problem!
However it takes time to check through a full tape and sometimes there is home video footage in between other taped content. If we don’t find any family content to transfer, there will be a $10 fee for this service.
Convert to DVD
• If stored correctly a DVD disc can last up to 200 years. It is great as an archival choice
• Each video tape will have its own DVD with printed label, cover and case
• It plays like any video that can be bought in a store
• DVD’s can only be played on a DVD player or a computer or media device that has such a device
• With current new technology DVD devices, older than 10-15 years, might struggle to play converted videos. However, it will play seamlessly on Blu-ray players and current DVD players
• It has limited storage capacity and more expensive to produce
• The conversion process is different than that of a conversion to a digital MP4 video file
• It is difficult to copy or duplicate a DVD and it would need further conversion if you want to edit it on a computer
• The quality is the same as a USB and only as good as the current state of the video tape, but can be enhanced slightly with brightness sharpness and colour filters
Convert to USB
• Modern technology
• It can be played on TVs, computers and any media player with a USB port
• It’s small and compact and can easily be copied to a hard drive or to other USB devices
• It can easily be edited on a computer, Mac or PC with video editing software
• Files can be uploaded to YouTube, Facebook, Social Media providers, Dropbox or any other cloud base storage providers
• It’s not as expensive to produce.
• The quality is the same as a DVD and only as good as the current state of the video tape, but can be enhanced slightly with brightness sharpness and colour filters
• USB devices have various storage capacities to choose from and you can have multiple video files on a single USB i.e. 8Gb, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, up to 8TB and more
• It can get corrupted or broken and it is advisable that the contents should be transferred to a computer first, as soon as possible
• It’s small and can get lost easily
We test all our transferred DVDs on a variety of devices such as PCs (Windows7, 8 and 10), MACs (OSX 10.11.6+), BluRay players and modern DVD players. In the unlikely event that there is a problem, please contact us within 15 days.
If your DVD player is more than 10-15 years old it could cause playback problems or could be incompatible with playing DVD-R and DVD+R DL (double layer) discs. We only use industry standard Verbatim DVD-R and DVD+R DL discs (double layer discs hold longer videos).
Some older DVD players may have problems playing conversions from analog video to DVD due to advances in technology and disc media. In comparison, commercially mastered DVDs are made using ultra high-end machines costing tens of thousands dollars and the most modern software technology and media.
Therefore, they will play on almost any machine.
What can I do?
• On a computer, make sure that your DVD drive’s firmware and your computer’s operating system have the latest updates installed.
• Install the Free VLC media player for Windows or MAC and try to play the DVD: Click here to get the Free VLC Media Player
• Try to use Windows Media Player if you have Windows 8 -10.
• You might consider having the lens cleaned, or investing in a new DVD/BluRay player. It doesn’t need to be the most expensive on the market. just make sure it can play DVD-R and DVD+R DL discs. Brands like Sony, Panasonic, LG and Samsung would be fine.
• Call us for further help.
Yes we do! We take great pride in our service and workmanship, and will guarantee to execute and deliver your order to the best of our abilities and to your satisfaction. Please refer to our reviews page and see what our clients says about us.
• We provide this service for home videos only.
• We will not copy commercial videos to DVD without the formal permission from the copyright holder.
• We do not store any critical private data on our computers and neither do we share any other information like your email or telephone number with anyone.
• We will not copy any adult or other inappropriate material. If we have to return any material deemed unsuitable for copying then we reserve the right to charge an administration fee.
• We respect your privacy, as we do ours. We will never share, or show your video or information, to anyone.
• We do not watch your videos in full and our technicians only do standard quality checks every 10 minutes.
• Once the transfer is completed, it is archived on our own secure in-house computer for 14 days after payment has been received, in case you need to change something.
• It is then deleted from all our computers and storage devices. Video files are large and we do not store or keep any of your footage after that.
Please phone 021 055 3102 or 03 546 4148, or visit our FAQ page, for more detailed information.